Treasurer's Notes: Looking Ahead
From the desk of David Stotts, CPA
Treasurer/Director of Finance and Administration and Conference Benefits Officer
With Christmas and the New Year comes much Administry work to be done. I would like to share a few notes with you that I think will help you in the close out of the 2017 year.
- The renewal of the property and casualty insurance program has been completed and is going in the mail to each church. Although none of us want to see an increase, we are pleased the rate increase was limited to no more than 7.25 percent for most all of our churches. This is a good renewal given all of the losses sustained in the conference and around the world from hurricanes in Puerto Rico, the Eastern Seaboard, Florida and Texas. Please pay close attention to your insured values and the fact that values under $120 per square foot are being insured at stated value. Buildings with values in excess of $120 per square foot have been able to retain the blanket coverage. Please assist us in continuing this coverage by obtaining and filing an appraisal if you have not done so. If you need assistance with this, please call our risk managers at 601.956.5810.
- Remember that you can only give credit for charitable contributions received in your office on or before December 31, 2017. If you receive checks in the mail, they must be postmarked December 31, 2017.
- January 9, 2018 will be the close out day for mission shares and clergy benefits invoice. Please be sure your funds are in to us so that you can be recognized for your generosity in 2017.
- Statistical reports must be filed by January 29, 2018. Please begin work on these so that you will have them timely filed. The forms are new for this quadrennuium.
- All W-2 forms and 1099 forms must be filed and mailed to the recipients by January 31, 2018. Clergy must receive a W-2 form, not a 1099.
- Your year-end audit is due into your district office by June 30, 2018.
- Your first 2018 mission share report and clergy pension invoice will be mailed on January 10, 2018.
- Your final 2017 Mission Share report will be mailed on or before January 26, 2018.
Thank you for all the 'administry' work you do during the year. Without your gifts and talents, you church would not have good information for their work. Administration in a ministry—I call that 'Adminstry!'
As always, if you have any needs or questions, please call on us. We are here to serve and resource you! Blessings for a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.