Employment Opportunity: Associate Director of Lay Leadership
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 3, 2022
We are looking for just the right person to join the work of the office of spiritual leadership in resourcing the good work of the board of laity. This is a part-time position located in Jackson, Mississippi at the Mississippi United Methodist Conference office. The position is for 20 hours a week which will be negotiated between “in-office time” and events and meeting.
The Associate Director of Lay Leadership will work to resource and support the work of the board of laity. This description provides a list of aspirational job functions associated with the purpose and responsibilities of the board of laity pursuant to paragraph 631 of The Book of Discipline. While the board of laity will prioritize which duties are needed most, the selected individual, the board of laity and the director of spiritual leadership will work collaboratively at a high level to pace the duties in a practical way that effectively provides the board of laity with needed support and takes into account the availability and capacity of the selected person. The director of spiritual leadership will direct the day-to-day performance of duties.
- Supports the board of laity as needed in fostering an awareness of the role of the laity both within the local congregation and through their ministries in the home, workplace, community and world in achieving the mission of the Church.
- Assists the annual conference webmaster, in consultation with the board of laity, with the creation, maintenance, and updating of board of laity web pages that are part of the Mississippi Annual Conference (MSAC) website, including a Lay Servant Ministries page.
PROGRAMS AND EVENTS
- Supports the board of laity as needed in fostering and promoting programs to cultivate an adequate understanding of the theological and biblical basis for lay life and work among the members of the churches of the annual conference.
- Assists the board of laity with developing and promoting programs to cultivate an adequate understanding of the theological and biblical basis for the ministry of the laity among the members of the churches of the annual conference.
- Supports the board of laity and/or conference lay leader as needed before, during and after all events on the annual calendar of the board of laity, including, but not limited to, annual conference, laity session, Laity Sunday and the Collaborative Leadership Conference.
- Ensures that board of laity events are timely planned and publicized through means, such as the annual conference news outlets, e.g., The Circuit Rider, in consultation with the board of laity.
- Assists with the training of lay members of the annual conference as needed by the board of laity.
- Assists the board of laity with providing direction and support to conference and district programming for the development of local church leaders, such as working with the planning, implementation and/or coordination of leadership trainings and other events planned to form laity in leadership.
- Assists the board of laity with virtual learning experiences designed for laity.
- Assists the board of laity in its role concerning collaborative clergy/lay leadership development events, including keeping the board of laity informed about the planning and progress of the Collaborative Leadership Conference and works with the board of laity and spiritual leadership office to solidify logistics.
- Provides support for all Lay Servant Ministries programming, including, but not limited to, assisting the conference director of Lay Servant Ministries with the duties of the conference committee on lay servant ministries and coordinating logistics for the Certified Lay Ministry Academy as needed in consultation with the conference director of lay servant ministries.
- Attends and supports the board of laity’s quarterly meetings, including assistance with preparation and action items after the meeting.
- Partners with districts to assist the board of laity in gathering information and tracking information to be recorded from charge conference reports, including lay speakers, lay
servants and other lay leadership positions.
- Maintains a database of conference certified lay ministers.
- Maintains a database/spreadsheet of potential lay leaders in the conference for the board of laity to use to populate and help populate district and conference lay leadership positions.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- One (1) year of experience in database creation and management or demonstration of equivalent database creation and management capability.
- Knowledge of, or ability to navigate, technological software, such as Zoom, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- People skills
- Ability to make oral and written presentations
- Ability to learn and use standard office equipment
Those interested in the position who feel called to this type of work should submit a resume to Rev. Trey Harper at email@example.com by March 1, 2022. Questions or other inquiries can also be sent to the above email address.