Conference Treasurer's Notes
There are some very important items I want to call to your attention as you do your planning and budget work this fall for the 2024 calendar year.
- Your mission shares for 2024 will be the exact same as they are in 2023. Thus, you will not be receiving a report about new mission share numbers as you have in the past. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Laura Rollins at 769.243.7024 or David Stotts 769.243.7020.
- Your local church trustees should be completing their work on obtaining the 2024 insurance coverage on your church property. Please remember that the conference insurance program ends December 31, 2023. The required liability levels have gone down for smaller churches in 2024. Remember that as you bind your coverage for 2024, consider a bond that covers all who handle the money of any group in your church, but at the very least be sure to bond your treasurer as required by The 2016 Book of Discipline.
- November is Medical Insurance Open Enrollment for clergy serving ¾ time or more. Click here for more details on clergy benefits. Be sure to reaffirm any of the Medical Savings Accounts or Flexible Spending Accounts. For further information contact Shelby Penn at Ross and Yerger 601.944.9735) or Jackie McGough in the conference benefits officer’s office 769.243.7022).
- January 9, 2024, is the last day to get your mission shares and special offerings into the conference office so that they can be included in the 2023 close out. Please remember this additional nine days is to close out your books. It is not an extension of time to give to individuals to write post year end checks. Financial secretaries can only give 2023 giving records to the gracious donors for funds received in the church in the year 2023.
- More information will be in a letter to the pastor/treasurer as to how to deposit the funds into the conference account. You will want to review the December report of mission shares very closely to see that we have followed your direction for each line item.