Time to apply for conference scholarships


The conference Committee on Higher Education and Campus Ministry is now accepting applications for 2006 scholarship awards.  

The Cooper Fund annually provides two grants of $1,000 each to students who are juniors or seniors in an accredited college or university and two grants of $1,000 each to students in an accredited seminary. All students must plan to enter the full-time professional ministry of The United Methodist Church.

Funds for the grants come from the interest on an endowment established by Dr. I.W. Cooper in 1906 and increased by gifts over the years to assist persons planning on full time professional ministry.

The Committee on Higher Education and Campus Ministry will present two Merit Awards of $500 each. Guidelines for the award:

  • Any student who is a member of a United Methodist church in the Mississippi Conference may apply.
  • The student must be admitted to a United Methodist college.

The award will be made on the basis of merit. Recipients will be chosen by a task group of the Mississippi Conference Committee on Higher Education and Campus Ministry and presented at the Annual Conference in June. 

Funds for this award come from a percentage of the offerings taken in conference churches on United Methodist Student Day, traditionally the last Sunday in November.

Click here for application forms.

Application deadline
Completed applications must be received by April 30, 2006.  For additional information, please contact Warren Coile, scholarship chairperson, at wcoile@bellsouth.net.

Additional UM scholarships
Mississippi Conference United Methodist Women award Frances Perry Scholarships to students in their junior, senior or graduate years of college interested in pursuing a church-related career in the United Methodist Church or for those who may enroll in approved training programs for church leaders. For information or an application, contact Linda Stepko, 185 Anderson Rd., Hattiesburg, MS 39401 or 601-584-9417.

Other scholarships and loans for United Methodists are available through the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry. Click here to learn more.