320-F Briarwood Drive
Jackson, MS 39206
A Fresh Expression is quite simply a fresh expression of church. Fresh Expressions is a movement that is cultivating new forms of church - the presentation of the gospel and church in context - alongside existing congregations in order to reach changing, diverse cultures and world. At its heart, Fresh Expressions is about empowering and equipping God's people to develop creative expressions of church that can reach the increasing diversity of our society in order to share a message that is transformative.
Beginning in 2004 as an initiative of the Church of England and the British Methodist Church, the movement has resulted in the birth of thousands of new communities and has brought renewal to scores of established churches. In 2010, the movement began taking shape in the US.
Fresh Expressions can be rural or suburban, in public spaces, housing projects and college dormitories. Some are aimed at specific groups, ranging from "Messy Church" for families with children to "Amore Groups" led by married couples. There is a biker group, cowboy church, church for artists, church at or after work, -- the sky's the limit. Each is an adventure in bringing the power of the Gospel to people who might never experience Christian community and the transformational and self-giving love of Jesus.
There are four guiding principles that tie fresh expressions together:
- MISSIONAL: reach people through outreach, community involvement and Discipleship
- CONTEXTUAL: each one will look different as it reflects the language and culture of the people in and for their particular context
- FORMATIONAL: people are being formed and are committing to Jesus
- ECCLESIAL: forming local, tangible Christian communities that are able to step out as church in their own right
For more information, visit the Fresh Expression US website at https://freshexpressionsus.org/
Leaders all across the country are rediscovering Jesus' dinner table theology that dominated the Apostolic Era. The present-day Dinner Church movement is giving leaders and churches a renewed ability to reach people who would never attend their Sunday morning gatherings.
Visit The Dinner Church Collective Website at https://dinnerchurch.com/ to:
- Find out how the Dinner Church vision could impact your congregation's ministry;
- Gain practical insights that can enable you to begin hosting a Dinner Church in your own community; and
- Download the FREE E-Book, 15 Dilemmas Every New Faith Community Faces: and How the Dinner Church Addresses Them.
For more information, visit The Dinner Church Collective Website at: https://dinnerchurch.com/
WHEN: April 5-6, 2019 & October 18-19, 2019
WHERE: Anderson UMC, 6205 Hanging Moss RD, Jackson, MS, 39206
Pioneers are mission entrepreneurs who have the stirrings to go beyond existing church communities to engage in life and ministry with people, fostering fresh expressions of church that connect with those uncomfortable or unfamiliar with the inherited church.
Fresh Expressions Pioneer Communities are a part-time, learning community designed to:
- Assist teams who want to launch fresh expressions of church
- Help pastors and lay-leaders create Fresh Expressions strategies for their communities and neighborhoods
- Surround pioneers with a network of fellow sojourners and practitioners of missional ministry
Over the course of several months, Pioneer cohorts meet for two weekend retreats, monthly connection and support through coaching. Teams and individuals discern and implement intentional steps toward developing fresh expressions of church appropriate to their unique contexts. Each participant is welcomed into an on-going peer learning network upon completion of the learning community.
COST: $469 (Mississippi Conference, UMC)
(Price includes participation in both retreats (April 5-6 & Oct. 18-19), food, training materials and a book, 6 months of coaching circles in between the retreats, webinars and more! Partial Scholarships may be available to those in need. Email email@example.com to inquire.)