Effective ministry is about training, developing and empowering leaders to establish ministries that address the needs of the church AND the community by getting to the heart of what truly matters and what we are called to do - make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Our efforts are to empower you and your local church ministry in a mission to build His Kingdom.
Join church leaders from across the state at the 2018 Mississippi Convocation on the Black Church, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 9 am to 4 pm, at Madison United Methodist Church, 100 Post Oak Road in Madison, Mississippi.
The theme of this year’s Convocation, Intentional Discipleship: Engage, Connect, Equip and Send expands on last year’s theme of embracing the Mississippi Conference’s overarching goal – that by 2020, 75% of ALL local churches will have an intentional disciple-making system in place.
- Engage in the transforming work of Christ in our community and our world. To reach the unchurched by intentionally engaging the world through both personal interaction and formal ministries to invite the world into the body of Christ.
- Connect focuses on connection – to yourself, your family, your church and your community - by facilitating the building of relationships within your local body; to encourage people to relate to and feel a part of their local body of Christ.
- Equip and prepare people for service. Involve people in ministries that help them grow spiritually (help people understand what it means to be the church -- the hands and feet of God).
- Send out into the world. Guide, enable and encourage people to serve and engage the world (to help people to be the church out in the world and thereby transform the world). Send persons into the world to live lovingly and justly as servants of Christ by healing the sick, feeding the hungry, caring for the stranger, freeing the oppressed, being and becoming a compassionate, caring presence, and working to develop social structures that are consistent with the gospel and to continue the mission of seeking, welcoming and gathering persons into the community of the body of Christ.
Come - learn how to respond to the challenges and opportunities in new and creative ways! Experience exceptional preaching and teaching, innovative and thought-provoking workshops and panel discussion, and soul-stirring music and:
- Be informed about the tools and resources needed for transforming your communities
- Be inspired to lead fearlessly and strategically to make disciples for the transformation of your communities and the world
- Be intentional in creating, planning and implementing a course of action for building relationships and discipling your communities
- Be transformed and be what God has intended you to be!
All clergy and laity are welcome to participate and attend.