St. Luke’s United Methodist Church seeks an energetic and passionate individual to serve as Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries. This position reports directly to the Senior Pastor and involves planning, coordinating, and promoting the children’s and youth programs of the church, special youth projects, mission events, fundraising activities, district- and conference-related activities, and volunteers.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries is responsible for planning, coordinating and promoting the children’s and youth programs of the church, special youth projects, mission events, fundraising activities, and district- and conference-related activities.
Part-time, Exempt. Reports to the Senior Pastor.
Focused work in Children’s and Youth Ministry:
In consultation with the Senior Pastor, Director of Early Childhood Learning Center, Director of Music, and lay coordinators, the Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries will develop ministry programs and outreach to nursery, preschool, elementary school, and secondary school children and their parents. Responsibilities include:
- Developing goals and objectives for children and students in support of church vision and mission.
- Assessing ministry needs and developing programs and activities to meet those needs.
- Serving as a motivating, inspiring, and engaging teacher to our children, youth, and their families on a regular/weekly basis as a part of a larger plan for the spiritual development of our children and youth.
- Developing a climate for children and youth that is safe, supportive, and cultivates spiritual growth.
- Addressing specific personal and spiritual needs of children and youth as they arise.
- Equipping parents of children with tools for the discipleship of their families.
- Coordinating yearly Vacation Bible School and other special children’s events.
- Oversee and ensure all required training and safety compliance obligations are met for all staff and volunteers assisting with children’s ministry activities.
: The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries is expected to execute or provide for these ongoing activities:
- Teach, and recruit teachers, for Children’s and Youth Sunday School, Sunday Children’s Worship and Children’s and Youth Sunday and/or Wednesday night activities.
- Develop, coordinate, and lead Sunday night and/or Wednesday night Youth activities.
- Coordinate and supervise paid nursery staff and volunteers.
- Participate, as requested, in Sunday worship services.
- Submit weekly newsletter and/or Sunday bulletin updates, and other announcements, for children’s and youth ministries.
- Provide contact and follow up with families, children, and youth who visit the church.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries will strengthen the programs and activities with children and youth by:
- Developing and implementing an annual calendar of activities and programs.
- Developing and implementing the annual budget for Children’s and Youth Ministries.
- Coordinating any fundraisers in consultation with church Governance Team.
- Developing relationships with schools, churches, and parachurch organizations that support our efforts to reach children and youth in the church and the community.
Evaluation and Compensation
The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry will meet regularly with the Senior Pastor to review accomplishments and activities. The Senior Pastor and the Governance Team will conduct annually a performance evaluation and review compensation.
Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years’ experience supervising children’s programming, preferred. References and background check required.
Resumes may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org