General Description: The Family Ministry Director is responsible for developing, sustaining, and growing a ministry for children, youth, and families that helps Gulfport First United Methodist Church accomplish its mission of “making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” Specifically, the Family Ministry Director provides vision, energy, oversight, and daily direction to all aspects of ministry including infants through High School and their families.
Accountable To: Pastor and Staff-Parish Relations Committee and relates with all ministry areas.
Supervises: Children, Youth, & Family ministry volunteers and/or potential interns.
Start Date: When available
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish, implement and follow a comprehensive, age-appropriate ministry and curriculum plan for spiritual development for Nursery – High School and their families (e.g. Sunday and weekly programming, Parents’ Night Out, Confirmation, Wednesday Night small groups, UMYF, youth trips, special events, etc.).
- Cultivate, engage and provide training for a highly motivated, passionate team of volunteers, empowering as many people as possible to help nurture FUMC’s children, youth, and families in the spirit of Jesus.
- Encourage participatory leadership, which encourages volunteers with joy and curiosity; creating and maintaining a culture of innovation turning new ideas into opportunities to help children, youth, and parents find & follow Christ.
- Upon the belief that Jesus taught us to care for all, follow and ensure that volunteers, families, and individuals are compliant with FUMC’s safe sanctuary policies in all aspects of the church, including but not limited to:
- Registration & check in procedures
- Recruitment, background checks, guidelines, and training for all volunteers
- Classroom/ Event management and staffing
- Promote the inclusion of all children and youth, and help FUMC develop safe and responsible ministries to nurture children & youth with special needs, children & youth with disabilities and their families.
- Communicate with parents and families in clear and consistent ways. Use current technology to promote upcoming events and ministry plans.
- Manage the administration of the Children, Youth, and Family Ministries programs.
- Maintain database of children, youth, families, and volunteers
- Develop and manage Children & Youth Family Ministries budget
- Participate in FUMC’s staff meetings and other church/planning meetings as necessary. Work for the overall mission of FUMC and be a team player.
- Keep an outreach and servant focus in overall planning of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries. Help our children, youth, and families champion all children & youth. Advocate for those who are most vulnerable and who are marginalized in our community, state, and world.
- Keep up with current trends in Children, Youth, & Family Ministries attending to personal, spiritual, and professional growth.
The position requires a person of mature Christian faith with strong, assertive, and proactive leadership skills who is self-aware, competent, and able to equip and empower volunteers. This person needs to be highly organized, technologically savvy, and must have excellent communication/coordinator skills. A Bachelor’s degree is required. A minimum of 1-year experience working with children and youth and their families is required.
: The competitive compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and training.
Contact: Rev. Claire Dobbs