Job Description – Music Leader (Part-Time)
Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church
3787 Pleasant Hill Road
Olive Branch, MS 38654
8-10 hours per week, including Sundays and special worship services
The music leader will be a faithful Christian who is called to leading in music and worship arts in a traditional and liturgical worship setting. The music leader will lead congregational hymns, direct the chancel choir and organize any special music for both Sunday morning worship services, 8:45 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., respectively. The music leader will also serve as a member of the worship planning team, which meets once a month.
- Assist the pastor in leading Sunday worship at 8:45 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. by leading congregational hymns (8:45 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.), directing the chancel choir (11:00 a.m.), and organizing any special music (8:45 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.).
- other special services (Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, Pentecost, etc.)
- Lead rehearsal with the chancel choir on Sundays from 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Meet with, and serve on, the Worship Planning Team every 3rd Sunday of the month.
- Ability to lead worship on Piano and/or Organ (multiple instrumental competencies are a plus – piano, organ, guitar, etc.)
- Proficient sight-reading skills
- Proficient in voice
- Comfortable working in a team setting
- Have a willingness to work in, and embrace, United Methodist theology and practice (being a United Methodist is not required for this position)
- Understanding of the liturgical year and special seasons of the church (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Pentecost, Kingdomtide/Ordinary Time)
- Self-motivated to foresee and accomplish tasks
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred (or in-progress, if a music student)
- Experience leading worship preferred
Pleasant Hill UMC is a 130-year-old United Methodist congregation located at the intersection of the Olive Branch-Lewisburg-Southaven-Nesbit communities, and seeks to live into its call to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Serious applicants may send a cover letter and resume to Rev. Adam Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org