First United Methodist Church
Job Description: Business Administrator
Supervisor: Immediate supervisor is Senior Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Reports to Finance and Trustee Committees.
Supervises: Office and Administrative staff; Maintenance, Custodial, kitchen staff
Summary: This is a full-time, salaried position responsible for, but not limited to, serving the church by providing overall direction to the property, legal, financial, and business affairs of the church and providing leadership supervision of staff and volunteers involved in this ministry. Attend staff meetings and other resourcing committee meetings.
- Ensure that appropriate and accurate accounting and membership records are maintained including accounts payable and receivable.
- Coordinate development and monitoring of the annual church budget.
- Perform a facility assessment to develop a long-range plan in concert with the finance and trustee committees for addressing capital improvements and maintenance.
- Coordinate and monitor purchasing of equipment, furniture, supplies, and other items within the budget.
- Research and report to the appropriate committee new business procedures, computer technologies, and financial programs.
- Ensure that appropriate and adequate insurance coverages are in place including workers compensation, property causality, and liability.
- Supervise maintenance and upkeep of all buildings, grounds, and landscaping. Establish and coordinate maintenance schedules for all HVAC, elevators, organ, and other church equipment.
- Coordinate with appropriate committees, contractors, and architects, as needed to maintain adequate facilities for ministry.
- Maintain all church contracts on our buildings and property with outside companies.
- (Only applies if position is full-time) Supervise support staff members in the following areas: custodial, maintenance, security, financial, administrative, food service, communication, computer maintenance, and IT, and make employment recommendations to the Staff Parish Relations Committee and Senior Pastor.
- Work with Staff Parish Relations Committee and Senior Pastor to develop a plan to ensure that FUMC has adequate, non-pastoral staffing.
- Recommend personnel policies and procedures to the Staff Parish Relations Committee and Senior Pastor.
- Work with appropriate committees, officers, and leaders in carrying out the business and security affairs of the church.
To perform this job successfully and professionally, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to his or her utmost ability in accordance with the doctrines and polity of the Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church and the Policies and Procedures of Columbus First United Methodist Church.
- EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Ability to use e-mail and the internet
Knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel
Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Publisher a plus
Ability and willingness to learn various church software
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
Ability to ask pertinent questions related to job duties
Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with all persons
- CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATION
Must possess a valid Mississippi Driver's License and a Social
Security number and card
Must have no outstanding criminal issues
Must pass a criminal background check
Salary and Hours
Resumes, references, and cover letter (with salary requirements) to:
- This is a full-time position, 40 hours/week. Benefits are provided per the guidelines established by the most recent Employee Handbook. Salary is commensurate to level of education and experience.
PO Box 2100
Columbus, MS 39704
Deadline for submission shall be Friday, October 18th, at 5pm (CST).
Contact: Kevin Stafford
PO Box 2100 Columbus MS 39704