The Seashore District, Katrina Recovery, the Conference Disaster Relief leadership and the Conference Office staff are working together to prepare for the possible impact of Gustav. We are in regular contact with the National Weather Service, MEMA (Mississippi Emergency Management Agency), MS VOAD (Voluntary Agencies Active in Disasters), and other partner organizations for a more organized response that stretches resources and avoids duplication.
What should you do?
2) Continue preparations!See the “Disaster Prep Top 10” and www.ready.gov.
3) Stay tuned to your local radio and television for updates.
4) Continue to monitor this website for updates.
5) Consider donating to the response efforts if we are impacted
6) Do not collect or donate clothes!
7) Please limit traveling to the affected areas immediately after impact to allow emergency personnel to do their jobs.
Conference Response Overview
• First, we want to be sure that our churches, pastors, staffs, and members are accounted for.
• Second, we move toward others in need based upon need and available resources.
• We support the efforts of the impacted districts.
Important contact information: (Please check for updates here first!)
Conference Disaster Relief Information Line – 866-647-7486
Conference Disaster Relief Coordinator — C. J. Caufield
Seashore District Disaster Response Coordinator — David Cumbest
Katrina Recovery Director — Robert Sharp
Clergy and lay members received a handout posing 10 questions for their churches to answer. The "Disaster Prep Top 10" questions:
In the event of a natural disaster…
When you have answered these 10 questions, you're well on the way to forming your local church disaster response plan!
The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is the not-for-profit humanitarian agency of The United Methodist Church. Since 1940 UMCOR's mission - providing relief in disaster areas, aiding refugees and confronting the challenge of world hunger and poverty - has helped to heal the hurts of humanity in nearly 100 countries. UMCOR maintains a corps of trained disaster response specialists for quick reinforcement of national efforts and keeps a supply of relief materials in warehouses for dispatch when and where required.
When you give to the United Methodist Committee on Relief you can be sure that your money will go where you want it to go. One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gifts go to the emergency or project that you designate. UMCOR's administrative costs come from other sources, especially the United Methodist One Great Hour of Sharing offering.
Conference disaster response director is Rev. C.J. Caufield. E-mail him at email@example.com. In addition, each district has a coordinator.
DISASTER RESPONSE LINKS
Mississippi United Methodist Katrina Response Center