New Workshops Added to the Walking with Palestinian Christians Conference
Palestinian boys play in front of the Israeli separation barrier which has sealed-off Bethlehem from nearby Jerusalem.
The United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries announced the full schedule of workshops for the upcoming “Walking with Palestinian Christians … for Holy Justice and Peace” conference. The Aug. 7-8 conference is being hosted and co-sponsored by Ginghamsburg United Methodist Church in Ohio.
Workshops will focus on biblical/theological perspectives; pilgrimage and presence; political, economic and social advocacy and actions; and involvement and positions within The United Methodist Church. Plenary speakers include Mike Slaughter, Ginghamsburg Church; Lynne Hybels, Willow Creek Community Church; Alex Awad and other Palestinian Christians, and Global Ministries’ Thomas Kemper. Bishop Ivan Abrahams, General Secretary, World Methodist Council; Bishop Gregory V. Palmer, West Ohio Conference; and Bishop Hope Morgan Ward, North Carolina Conference and president of Global Ministries, also will participate.
United Methodists from around the world — particularly those who undertake to visit the Holy Land — are increasingly aware of the political realities that affect Palestinians and Israelis. Legislation addressing the region is regularly introduced at the United Methodist General Conference, and is often accompanied by passionate conversation and debate. “Walking with Palestinian Christians … for Holy Justice and Peace” will bring United Methodists and Palestinian Christians together and provide opportunities for prayer, fellowship and study.
Global Ministries’ top executive Thomas Kemper says he is excited about the broad range of dialogue that he expects the workshops to foster. “While the topics are complex, this format gives us a framework to explore the situation through the unique lens of Palestinian Christians.”
Key staff and church leaders from across the Connection who want to be part of creating a just peace in Palestine and Israel are encouraged to register today.
Full List of Workshops
- Christian Zionism and its Impact on Palestinian Christians with Alex Awad, dean of Bethlehem Bible College and serving with Global Ministries
- Challenges Facing Young Christians in Palestine with Grace alZoughbi, faculty, Bethlehem Bible College
- Covenants between God and Humanity: How Many and With Whom? with Bruce Robbins, former general secretary, General Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns
- Prophetic Faith: How Occupation Can Change the Reading of Scripture with Tina Whitehead, mission volunteer with Sabeel and Bethlehem Bible College
- Theologies of Land with Grace alZoughbi, Bethlehem Bible College
- Kairos Palestine: A Biblical Message of Faith, Hope and Love with Nora Carmi, Kairos Palestine
- Ecumenical Accompaniment Program in Palestine and Israel with Randi Clawson and Dee Poujade, both served as Ecumenical Accompaniers for three months in Palestine
- Christian Peacemaker Teams with Tarek Abuata, a Palestinian-American who has served with CPT in Hebron
- Promoting Student and Young Adult Action-oriented Presence with Natalia Cuadra who has participated in delegations and campus advocacy
- Organizing and Promoting Methodist Holy Land Tours: Lessons and Challenges, a roundtable discussion with various tour organizations
- “Where Should the Birds Fly?” Film screening and discussion with Gazan filmmaker Fida Qishta and Jay Godfrey, United Methodist Women Seminar Program
- Promoting Equal Rights through Nonviolent Action with the Rev. Kathryn Johnson, interim director, US Campaign to End Israeli Occupation
- Save Wadi Foquin: A Palestinian Village under Siege with the Rev. Michael Yoshii, pastor in Cal-Nevada Conference
- Boycott and Divestment as Nonviolent Moral Actions: Past, Present and Future with Susanne Hoder, New England Divestment Taskforce and David Wildman, Global Ministries
- Women’s Role as Peacemakers with Bishop Hope Ward, North Carolina Conference, and Linda Todd Bales
- Conflict Transformation Work in Palestine with Zoughbi Zougbi, director of Wi’am Center for Conflict Transformation
- Making Our Voices Heard in Congress with Mark Harrison, General Board of Church and Society
- United Methodist Kairos Response: Its Vision, Goals and Activities with Theresa Basile and Andrea Whitmore, UMKR steering committee members
- Methodist Liaison Office in Palestine and Israel: Advocacy for a Just Peace with the Rev. Kristen Brown, Global Ministries missionary serving with the office
- Global Methodist Initiatives seeking Just Peace in Holy Land with Bishop Ivan Abrahams, World Methodist Council, and Steve Pearce, Methodist Church of Britain
- Discussion on Corporate Engagement with Barbara Boigegrain, general secretary, and Dave Zellner, chief investment officer, General Board of Pension and Health Benefits
- Ecumenical and Interfaith Advocacy with the Rev. Susan Henry Crowe, general secretary of General Board of Church and Society; Christine Elliott, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland; and Philip Farah, Christian Palestinian Alliance for Peace