• Question: What will happen in local churches on Sunday, June 14?
Answer: Very good things!
Ten top ways for laity to join clergy in planning for Sunday, June 14:
10. Give thanks for an opportunity to embody the connection as your pastor(s) and lay member(s) are at annual conference June 12-14.
9. Help Sunday school classes participate on Sunday at 10 a.m. during the 10,000 Doors: Mississippi Conference in Ministry Webcast.
8. Encourage your pastor to be at annual conference, vested and participating with all Mississippi Conference clergy in the Service of Ordering of Ministry on Sunday at 3 p.m.
7. Let clergy know how important they are while reminding them that you look forward to a rich blessing through a lay speaker on June 14. And, give thanks for the 600 – YES, 600 – trained lay speakers across our conference in addition to local church lay leaders. These friends are available, capable and eager to lead worship and to preach.
6. Decorate a door and bring it to conference.
5. Use this annual opportunity to interpret the polity of The United Methodist Church and to teach the meaning of conference and connection.
4. Load up a Sunday school class, youth or seniors group and bring them to Annual Conference dynamic experiences, including Trans4mation June 11-12 and grand services of worship.
3. During May and early June invite generosity toward the Annual Conference Offering to feed hungry people through Society of St. Andrew and Stop Hunger Now. On June 14, remind your church that your offering given the night before and now combined with offerings from 1,140 other churches, is a powerful witness!
2. Give thanks for a weekend setting for Annual Conference that is more welcoming to lay participation across Mississippi.
1. Celebrate that God is …opening a door of opportunity (Colossians4:3) for us!