The Rev. L. A. and Marcia Meek Wasson celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary with family and friends at Kosciusko First United Methodist Church. Hostesses were their children, Marcia Elaine Wasson and Lockett Alton Wasson, Jr. The Wassons were married on Aug. 28, 1938 at Cameron.
Rev. Wasson served as principal of Damascus School in Kemper County and was a teacher at other locations for the next 12 years, including Jefferson Military College in Washington, near Natchez. There Marcia Wasson was a dorm mother and cared for their two young sons, Alton, Jr. and Lonnie (now deceased). Marcia Elaine was born later at Booneville.
After his teaching career, the Wassons returned to Kosciusko and attended First United Methodist Church, then led by the Rev. J. A. George. George encouraged Rev. Wasson to enter the ministry. Following his ministerial education, Rev. Wasson was appointed in the fall of 1948 to Prairie Hamilton Charge, near Aberdeen and West Point, by Bishop Marvin Franklin, the bishop’s first appointment for North Mississippi.
During his 50-year tenure as a Methodist minister, Rev. Wasson served 12 charges and 31 churches. He retired four times, each retirement calling him back into service. He served 16 years following his initial retirement. Early in his ministerial career, he was a leader and organizer of the first mission team outside the United States from the North Mississippi Conference, ministering to the people of Haiti. Marcia Wasson supported her husband’s work by being active in local and Mississippi conference activities.