Rev. George Harold Fleming, Sr., retired pastor


Rev. George Harold Fleming, Sr., retired pastor

The Rev. George Harold Fleming, Sr., of Ridgeland, retired United Methodist minister, died Aug. 6, 2008, following a period of declining health.

Funeral services were held Aug. 9 at Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church in Jackson with burial following in Parkway Memorial Cemetery in Ridgeland. Wright & Ferguson Funeral Home handled arrangements.

The Rev. Fleming was born Dec. 9, 1915 in Theadville in Clarke County. Son of the late Johnnie Harrell and Rose Smith Fleming, he grew up in Crandall attending elementary and high school at Carmichael. In 1939, Rev. Fleming married Helene Brame of Meridian. Mrs. Fleming preceded him in death in 2005 shortly before their 66th wedding anniversary.

After working with his father in the mercantile business, he was appointed a local postmaster until the advent of World War II, during which he served in the U.S. Coast Guard. Returning home after the war, Mr. Fleming worked as a rural mail carrier, living in Quitman, until he answered the call to ministry in 1953 with the Methodist Church. The Rev. Fleming attended Meridian Junior College and Millsaps College.

Active in the ministry for more than 50 years, the Rev. Fleming served congregations at Porterville, Puckett-Johns, Terry, Ridgeland, Epworth in Jackson, Lucedale, Newton, Mendenhall and Camden. After his first official retirement in 1981, the Rev. Fleming resumed pastoral duties at the Braxton and Harrisville churches. In 1985, he became the minister of visitation at Galloway UMC where he served for 17 years before his final retirement at the age of 87.

For his years of service in visitation to the Galloway community, the United Methodist Women gave the Rev. Fleming the Special Mission Recognition in 1995.

Survivors include: daughter, Virginia Barlow of Brandon; son, George H. Fleming, Jr. Raleigh, N.C.; and four grandchildren and a great-granddaughter.

Memorials may be directed to Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church.