Arise! Shine! Magnify!
June 8-10, Christ UMC, Jackson
Annual Conference is just around the corner. Here's some useful information to keep in mind while making plans to attend.
Clergy and lay members can get a preview of Annual Conference, register, pick up materials and ask questions at the district pre-conference briefings. All members are encouraged to attend.
Here are the dates and sites:
• May 13 - Hattiesburg District, 7 p.m., Laurel First UMC
• May 15 - Seashore District, 6:30 p.m., Gulfport First UMC
• May 18 - Greenwood District, 2 p.m., Greenwood St. John's UMC
East Jackson and West Jackson districts, 3 p.m., Brandon, Crossgates UMC
• Meridian District, 3 p.m., District Office, Meridian
• May 19 - Brookhaven District, 6 p.m., Brookhaven First UMC
• May 20- Starkville District, 7 p.m., Starkville First UMC
• May 22 - Tupelo District, 7 p.m., Tupelo First UMC
• May 27 - New Albany District, 7 p.m., Booneville First UMC
• May 29 - Senatobia District, 7 p.m., Batesville First UMC
Get forms and other information about Annual Conference.
The arrangements of flowers during Annual Conference enhance worship services and provide an opportunity for congregations and individuals to honor or memorialize friends and family. To ensure information is included in the printed program, submit memorials or honorariums by Friday. Forms are available on the conference Web site.
Members of Annual Conference and local United Methodists are invited to start the day June 10 by running or walking a 5K (3.1 mile) course around Christ UMC in the fourth annual Arise! Shine! 5K run/walk. Register by May 11 to ensure you receive a T-shirt. Forms are available on the conference Web site.
Childcare will be provided during business sessions for conference members' children who are at least 6 months old through those who have completed fifth grade. Evening care during worship will also be offered for children under age 7. On Sunday evening only, childcare will be available for family members or friends attending the ordination service for a small fee. Registration forms are required and are due May 30. Forms are available on the conference Web site.
Bishop Hope Morgan Ward has designated the 2008 Annual Conference Mission Offering to support the United Methodist Global AIDS Fund. A bulletin insert and more information are available on the conference Web site.
Members who may receive per diem from the conference are listed on page 291 of the 2007 Journal, Volume 1. Members eligible for per diem should keep in mind:
• As in 2007, per diem will be paid at Annual Conference. No payments will be issued prior to conference.
• Eligible members will receive a signed per diem authorization form from one of the following: district superintendent (district officers, equalizing members and seminary students), conference liaison officer (retirees and surviving spouses) or director of Connectional Ministries (conference officers).
• Per diem recipients should turn in completed forms to their district superintendent at the pre-conference briefing. Do not mail forms to the conference office; they will be returned.
• Checks may be picked up June 10. Per diem recipients who must leave conference early may make arrangements with the treasurer's office to get their checks early.
• No checks will be mailed.