The first Methodist church in Fayette was built in 1832 on top of a hill. The church was destroyed by a tornado in 1904, and the congregation has met in its present location in the middle of town since.
On Oct. 7,
When the church was first organized in 1832, it was named the Methodist Episcopal Church. Later it was called
In 1950, the interior of the church was remodeled and is one of the few older churches that has theater seats. As with many small town churches, the 1960s were a time of many children and a two-story annex was added to accommodate the Sunday schools and other activities.
Although membership has grown smaller over the years, Fayette UMC is still a very active church. There are two Bible study groups and also an ecumenical group, Harvesters, that has been meeting since 1948.