Tupelo church holds celebration


An estimated 200 people gathered on Aug. 5 at St. Mark United Methodist Church in Tupelo to celebrate the church’s 75th anniversary. 

The church was organized on Aug. 6, 1932, as the East Tupelo Methodist Church. In 1959, the name was changed to St. Mark.

Those attending included five former pastors: the Rev. Jerry Beam, the Rev. Ray Wallace, the Rev. Glyn Wiygul, the Rev. Jack Williams and the Rev. Smith Whiteside. Other attending included current pastor the Rev. Donny Riley, the Rev. Dr. Carl Grubbs, Tupelo District superintendent, and former district superintendent the Rev. E. S. Furr. Bernice Perry, widow of a former pastor, is a current member of St. Mark. Current and former members and family members of current and former members and friends of St. Mark were also in attendance.

Following the service, the celebration continued in the Christian Life Center for lunch.  Two videos were shown that featured more than 300 photos of St. Mark members and activities over the last 60 years.