The Mississippi Conference of The United Methodist Church seeks to fill this full-time staff position with an experienced lay or clergy person. The Communication Specialist is responsible for developing, coordinating, directing and administering policies related to all phases of communication. This includes internal and external communication.
Applicants should be a team player and have a bachelor’s degree, at least three years full-time experience in communications. The United Methodist Church is a strong Christian faith rooted in the Wesleyan tradition.
Submit resume and cover letter by April 30th to Rev. Steve Casteel, P. O. Box 1147, Jackson, MS 39215, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax 601-948-5982.
The primary responsibility of the position is to develop, strengthen and coordinate the internal and external communication tools and networks of the Mississippi Annual Conference. These include: Web site, weekly and monthly e-mail blasts, printed pieces and ongoing publications (Journal, financial pieces, etc.). The specialist will develop and maintain ongoing relationships with the district offices and communicators; will collaborate with the Communications team to continually evaluate and improve the communications tools, process, and networks within the Annual Conference. This person will report to the director of Communications and Connection.
Essential Job Functions (duties and responsibilities):
• In concert with Conference leadership, develop an overall communications and training plan that unifies and strengthens the Mississippi Annual Conference message and mission
• Develop and implement effective communications and training strategies at the local, district and conference level
• Provide training in effective communications and use of new and emerging technologies as tools for ministry as well as training that supports work of the connection, be it locally driven ministries, conference matters or general church concerns
• Coordinate with communications staff and “customers” to define the scope of work for assigned projects and work breakdown structures, task estimates, and specific tasks and milestones
• Conceptualize and implement innovative marketing strategies
• Identify and track issues, internal demographics and trends that impact FBC (?) and the development of responsive strategies; provide written reports with recommendations
• Develop and implement media-relations strategies to increase the visibility and mission of the Conference and its local churches
• Monitor, control and communicate to the director of Communications and Connection the status of client and /or internal projects, with attention to resource utilization, project cost, and technical performance of the communications team
• Suggests areas of improvement in internal communications along with possible solutions
• Oversee all administrative procedures connected with the Department of Communications
• Provide administrative support for the director of Communications and Connection
Education and Experience Requirements (skills):
• Bachelor’s degree with concentration in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications or related field and demonstrated verbal and written communications skills
• 3 to 5 years of professional experience working in marketing or communications
• Experience working with senior leaders in casting vision and developing communications strategies
• Knowledge of most current communication technology
• Proven ability to meet multiple deadlines and balance numerous projects while maintain a perspective on long-term goals
• Experience in research, written preparation and dissemination of information to various target audiences through such media as publications, broadcast, Internet and periodicals
• Must be a team player and have excellent people and organizational skills
• Knowledge of the structure and policy of The United Methodist Church
• The ability to successfully establish a rapport and build relationships across a broad spectrum of people (many of whom are volunteers)
• The ability to work collaboratively with free-standing committees, boards and agencies to successfully execute the vision and goals of the Church
• Deep sensitivity and commitment to diversity (culture, race, ethnicity, gender, theology, etc.)
Those interested should send their resume to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is April 30, 2012.